Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What should I do if I have an abusive parent?

Most of the time he's normal and calm, but when he get's mad he hits me sometimes. I don't want to tell the police, because I'm afraid they'll take away my younger sister and my older brother also, and I don't want that. I just want to feel safe. I have a friend that told me I could stay at her house, but I don't want to do that. I'm scared, and I just want my independence. I'm 17, so legally I'm allowed to leave. I just don't know where to begin.What should I do if I have an abusive parent?
Call Child protective services and talk to them..Now days they really try to keep families together..they will speak to your dad and let him know they are services available to figure out ways to handle his temper..they will also talk to your siblings and you and help you too,,Unless he is beating you all the time they won't take you all away..ask for help now..Your dad needs it.What should I do if I have an abusive parent?
How about calling the police. Domestic violence is against the law!

Report Abuse



What you are talking about is teenage emancipation--the rules are different in different states. That doesn't solve the problem of what happens to your younger sister once you are gone.





There are many online resources for victims of abuse


www.ndvh.org national domestic violence hotline


www.avhotline.org abuse victim hotline


www.rainn.org rape, abuse %26amp; incest national network


www.TheWomensCenter.org





Your state, or even your town probably has listings in the blue pages of your phone book. Talk to someone! A teacher, a preacher, even the parent of a friend if you're scared to go to the police.
you obviously don't want to be the one to rat out your own parents (even though it's what you wanna do)





have a friend or someone like a school counselor do it for you





they'll report the claim to the authorties leaving you out of harms way
Talk to a trusted adult at your school, either a teacher or guidance counselor. She will be able to help. If your dad is hitting you, he may also be hitting your sibs, you need to get all of you some help.
have you told your mother? or does she know? if you can't tell her you really need to tell another adult. the only way to feel safe is to tell someone you trust.
If he is abusing your younger siblings you should tell someone. I would do what is best for them. Does he hit them too?

No comments:

Post a Comment