Thursday, May 13, 2010

In a gay/lesbian family what does your children call the spouse that is not their birth parent?

My cousins are lesbians and plan to get married. They want a child and they plan to have my cousin be pregnant and all but we where wondering what the baby would call my cousin's wife! My cousin is Italian and her wife is Greek just to let you all know.In a gay/lesbian family what does your children call the spouse that is not their birth parent?
I have two mothers and I just call my birth mother Mom and my mom's partner Mama Kate. :) I know another family where the daughter calls one mom, Mom and the other, Mama.In a gay/lesbian family what does your children call the spouse that is not their birth parent?
Usually they just call them both Mom or one Mom and the other Mommy or Mama or something like that. At least that is what the kids I used to babysit did.


In this situation the children are both genetically related to both parents but neither the sperm (obviously) or the egg are from the women they were from other family members from both families. So one woman's family member donated an egg and the others donated sperm. They did this because they tried using their eggs and it didn't work. I guess the quality was not good. One of the women was the one to carry the babies and actually that one is more like the father and the other stays at home. Also on the birth certificate it say parent instead of mother or father and both women have their name on it so they are both legally the parents of the children.
Well, I have two dads... I call them either by their first names, dad or father alternately (if they're together and need clarification as to who I'm talking to, I'll address one as dad and the other as father or go by first names). Whichever. Neither were my biological father, they were my legal godparents but I never knew them nor they me until my mother died when I was 11. They kinda just... inherited me.
Well, since they have different backgrounds, she/he could call one by the Italian word for mom and the other by the Greek word for mom.





My friend in high school called her mom 'Mummy' and her non-biological mom 'Mummy Lexi'
My friend back in high school, well, his mom was a lesbian... he just called them both mom, or mother... or variations of mom, basically.
Screwed up, duhhh
The one couple I know of where this is the case, their (adopted) daughter calls them ';Mommy'; and ';Mama';.
The child should obviously call it's birth mother mummy. I think that the child should call it's birth mother's wife by her first name. I think that this is one of those things that only you can decide. Only listen to suggestions like mine. Don't let anyone decide for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment