Monday, May 10, 2010

Can someone under the age of 21 posses a handgun in Kansas, if given to them by a parent?

I am 19 and would store the gun in my house I do not live with parent. Also i would only be transporting it from my house to the range in a case in the trunk.Can someone under the age of 21 posses a handgun in Kansas, if given to them by a parent?
In Kansas at age 18 you can purchase or be gifted a handgun from anyone but an FFL (who can't sell you one under age 21.)





You can also openly carry in Kansas without any license at 18 but must wait until 21 to get a license to carry concealed.Can someone under the age of 21 posses a handgun in Kansas, if given to them by a parent?
reference:





http://crime.about.com/od/gunl鈥?/a>

Report Abuse



Unlike in Illinois where I currently reside, Kansas is somewhat less restrictive of firearms. Following is the only information that I was able to uncover on a search of Kansas firearms laws in regards to age:





No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.





It is unlawful knowingly to sell, give or otherwise transfer any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches to any person under 18.





It is unlawful for the following persons to possess firearms:





A person who was adjudicated as a juvenile offender because of the commission of an act which if done by an adult would constitute the commission of a person felony or a violation of any provision of the uniform controlled substances act, and was found to have been in possession of a firearm at the time of the commission of the offense.





Furthermore, the only restrictions are on minors (less than 18 years of age) and they are even permitted to use them in target practice, hunting etc....





At age 21, you may apply for a license to carry a concealed firearm.





That is all that I found. I hit a couple of sites, but the following site that I am referencing carried all of the above information.





I hope this answers your question.
I cannot answer definitively from what I have been able to find checking on gun questions in the past, under 21 may posses a handgun when engaged in a sporting event like target shooting or hunting or in the home. I am not really sure about your situation. From what I have read about Kansas law it says a person under 18. I believe you should be able to own a handgun. It would seem that although you could not get a concealed carry permit you can own one.
  • bright lipstick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment