Thursday, May 13, 2010

Has anyone been a foster parent? Does anyone have any pointers or help in getting started?

Me and my husband start traingin classes Thursday to become foster parents and I am sooooo excited but is there any pointers or stories or anything about foster parenting that anyone wold like to share. Also is there a place, specifically online that a person could sign up to get free or cheaper stuff for foster parenting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Has anyone been a foster parent? Does anyone have any pointers or help in getting started?
Well im not a foster parent, nor was I. But i was a foster child for many years, in many homes.


My advise:


Do the best that you can, every family is diffrent, and it will take the child time to get use to yours.


For younger children this may be this may be diffrent as they may not no what's going on. But for teenagers, don't try and be there parents..just be a friend!


For me I was always shy and a momma's girl. It took me a few weeks before I felt comfortable to do anything with the pepole in the homes i was in. I was just getting use to not be at MY home with my family, everything was new....new rules...new town...even new friends, sometimes a new school.


I think you will do great, just give them there space, and be there for them when they want you to be .


Good luck!!Has anyone been a foster parent? Does anyone have any pointers or help in getting started?
If you are in the Uk you should get grants from Social Services to provide you with any equipment you might need
Ok this is really important! I am a foster parent, and i myself went throw 3 foster homes. Kids kinda hate it if they are over 9 years old, and you are trying to take the place of their real parents. If you are doing permanent placement foster homes you should be fine, but with the temporary ones they visit their real parents, so NEVER TALK BAD ABOUT their parents in front of them, they will rebel against you. Just think how they feel before you talk to them about a stressful subject. Good Luck, and Happy Late Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment