Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How do YOU know that you ARE a good parent?

I guess it depends how you define 'good parent'.





I certainly am not Super-Mum. I'm not perfect. My son isn't quite 6 months yet, and I'm sure I've already made a catalogue of mistakes! And I expect I will continue to do so.





However if 'good' doesn't necessarily mean 'perfect' then I am happy that I am a good mum. And I'm not one to blow my own trumpet usually, either.





I guess it boils down to the knowledge that he is absolutely number one in my life, and does and will always come before every other aspect in my life. I KNOW I would sacrifice everything for him and would (and do!) go without any luxuries for myself to make sure I can afford to give him the best. I admit and accept my mistakes and make every effort to learn from them. I feel the strength of the love I have for him and I know there is no way I could be a bad mum to someone I feel this level of love for.





It is pretty hard to tell from his progress etc. whether I am a good mum as he is so young - unlike people who's kids are walking, talking, at school, doing exams, grown up, etc. All I know is he is happy, healthy, hits every milestone ahead of his time, is a chubby ball of perfection! (Not that I'm biased... lol!) But I don't think that is necessarily a reflection on how good a mum I am - I just think I'm lucky to be blessed with a healthy, happy baby so far!How do YOU know that you ARE a good parent?
I think you're a good parent if you try to do the best you can by your kids.





I disagree that it's about putting your child's happiness first. I appreciate the mum who said that only has a little baby - but personally my 11 year old daughter would be much happier if I gave her a huge allowance to spend on clothes, let her stay up as late as she liked and go out whenever she wanted to, let her plaster her face in makeup every day, let her eat nothing but junk food, and allowed her to watch whatever she wanted whenever she wanted to. I genuinely believe I'm a better parent for NOT allowing her to do all those things. Even though it makes her unhappy. Part of being a good parent is saying No.How do YOU know that you ARE a good parent?
When you can take your child anywhere. When they realise they can't have everything in life, and it all has to be worked for. When they can be independent. When they are without predudice, and treat everyone with equal courtesy.





When they know how to have fun, and never lose the child inside no matter how old. No-one forgets their childhood, a good parent gives happy memories, so don't forget trips to the park, seaside, and have a good play with them.
I don't know. I know I do my best by my children, every decision I make is based around them, so far I have raised them to be polite, considerate, no swearing, regular bedtimes, they are healthy, never have had cavities, and above all else I love them more than anyone or anything in this world. Of course, up until now was the easy part. When they are little they are attached to you at the hip (or in my case both hips and one on my shoulders....lol) but the tricky part has come entirely too soon for my taste. Now the test has arrived, will everything I have taught them stick while they are not attached to me. What I am saying, is now they are much more social and have gained freedom from when they are little, they go out on their own to people's houses who are their friends and not children of my friends. I think, if they keep a cool head, think things through, and continue on with what I have taught them, then I will think of myself as a good parent. Right now, though I am a parent who has done her best and is praying it was good enough and continues to be good enough.
No parent is perfect and all we can do is our best.





A parent does not always get it right and every parent makes mistakes when bringing up their child.





But a good parent is one who strives their best to do what is right by their child, even if they stumble along the way.





I know I'm a good parent because even though I sometimes say the wrong thing to my children or overreact when they are naughty I always have their best interests at heart and I'm doing all I can to give them the kind of upbringing that will result in well rounded, kind and compassionate, hard working adults.
I think a good parent is simply someone who puts their childs health and happiness above everything else. Personally, I feel I am doing okay as my 9 month old is still breastfeeding, she's the most content, happy baby ever, I have never left her to cry, she is always my top priority in everything, and I would never compromise her happiness for anything.
Well i cant say i know I'm a good parent but i try my hardest to be, i don't spoil my kids with money or toys because i cant but they never go hungry or cold and are loved very much and so far they have turned out just fine.Its one of the hardest jobs in the world and i often wonder what kind of world Ive brought them into, they know right from wrong and i have brought them up to respect others. Unfortunately some things as they get older are out of our hands, i just hope they stay on the right track.....
im a mum to 3 amazing boys, and yeah i think im a pretty good mum to them, but i wudnt be without the love and support of my hubby and our kids, we all respect each otha and i think that is such a huge key, when im up at the school seeing the way some of the kids talk to their parents is like wooooow no way wud u talk to me like that! I think as long as ur all happy healthy andwork as a team then its all good- i like to think when the boys get older they no ive done my best- thats all u can ever do!!
Being a parent is like being an artist. There are bad artist who cant draw and produce shocking pieces of work and there are good artists who produce fantastic works of art. Children are a blank canvas and it is up to the parent to produce a well balanced individual.





I have 4 children and I think I have brought them up well. They are all polite, respectful children who have all done well in school. There are no drugs, alcohol, smoking issues and they dont hang around street corners scaring bystanders. What more could I ask for?
I feel that there is no perfect parent, but I believe that if you teach your child good manners, respect, right from wrong and teach them to understand that honesty is the best policy, you can't go far wrong! You need to make sure they always attend school and do their homework. I have had 4 children and they range from the ages of 20 years to 3 years, and I have never had any trouble bought to my door, the older ones have 4 A levels and 13 GCSE's, one has 13 GCSE's and an apprentiship with the MOD, and the 3 year old has a mental age of 4 and a half, so all in all it's not bad!
My 11 yr old daughter came home from school a couple of weeks ago and said 'Here you go mum', I looked and she had in her hand a small box, inside was a pewter starfish shaped box, the lid becomes a brooch with detachable earrings and there was a necklace inside, how lovely. She had saved up her pocket money especially so she could buy me a gift. Of course I told her how nice it was, and said 'Aww you didn't need to do that' she replied 'You do a lot for me mum, I want you to know I appreciate it.'


Yeah I have done a damn fine job, despite all the self doubt (mainly that I am too hard on her), I know I have done the best I can and it shows.
i feel a good parent when my kids tell me they love me for no reason and they tell their friends I'm a cool mum, and also when people tell me my children are a credit to me, that makes me feel great, also having kids that are well behaved and polite to people, good manners cost nothing
Absolutely agree with the person ahead of me.





I have raised three kids of my own and quite a few foster kids.





I look at the young adults they have become and I soar with pride.





And as to every day knowing. Look in the mirror. If you can face yourself you are doing it right!
You only know that you WERE a good parent when it's either too late to do anything about it or you look at your children in adulthood and think ';I didn't do a bad job there.';!





I think we all do the best we can with love and care.
i don't, do you? all i do is try to guide my kids away from silly mistakes i have made and try to instill some ethics and social boundries. but it's difficult when you have no role models of your own. so how the hell do you know if your a good parent?
if you question your parenting that is a good start to knowing your a good parent. Bad parents just don't care. I know I am a good parent. My kids are loved, happy and content and others like them and tell me how great and well mannered they are
I know because of the exceptionally, kind, loving, intelligent, hard working man my son became. And the fact that he tells me what a fantastic mom I was, especially when he hears what his friends say about their parent's.
I am not a good parent, I am a DAMN AWESOME PARENT!!





How do I know?


Everyday I wake up to 5 beautiful son's. Who are not perfect, but are my world.


Like any parent, I would move the Earth %26amp; Stars for them, if I could. They are my world, apart of me.
If the child isn't in faster care because you don't feed it then yes you are a bad parent. Or if you have a boyfreind that is violent towards your kids and you do nothing then you are a bad parent
Your kids are happy do well at school and they enjoy being at home, its tough being a parent and you can only do the best you can do ..
By not having too many children and causing themselves a load of hardship and bother, not just to themselves but to the children they already have. Its getting too expensive to have one never mind more.
when your children grow up to be fine young men or women and good parents themselves and you know you have led by your example.
Because I hear my children laughing. All the time. They're happy, confident little people. Their stabililty and love tells me I'm doing a good job.
I know because my children are both happy and always laughing. They play nice together and are well behaved.
Yes, i know i am a good parent, as is my partner.
When you can control your kids.





= )
By being a role model.....i guess.
my babies r well fed well dressed always clean and they r happy so i think im doin ok

No comments:

Post a Comment