Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do you feel a step-parent has a right to physically discipline there step-children?

Especially after the relationship is only 2years old?Do you feel a step-parent has a right to physically discipline there step-children?
My father has been with my stepmother since I was three and they married when I was nine I am 22 now. My mother was an addict so my step-mother was basically my only mother figure. Since she held that responsibility, she should have taken greater care but she didn't. As a result, I believe a step-parent should never be able to discipline a step-child.





Reasons being:





1) If the relationship is young and starting out, it is never okay. That person has no background knowledge of the child's behavior, they don't know the child. A problem should be discussed with the parent before any discipline is handed out.





2) If that step-parent brings other children to the marriage/household, physical discipline becomes even more complicated. Favorites will be played and it is not fair to the development of all of the children.





3) If there is a biological parent present, they should be the only one to hand out any physical discipline if that. Someone who a parent has married should NEVER be allowed to physically discipline their spouse's child.





As a result of the physical ';discipline'; my step-mother gave me, among other things, I will never have a relationship with her. I do not talk to her and I could care less about her well-being.





Be careful about what you do in this situation. What happens to the children could stay with them for a long time.Do you feel a step-parent has a right to physically discipline there step-children?
Absolutely never! A step-parent does not have the same emotional closeness as a bio-parent and most will never love that child as they would their own.





I have been married to my second husband for 23 years. He was a step-parent to my 3 oldest children. While we were totally on the same page as far as disciplining, he was never the one to deliver serious punishment. It was discussed and I was the one to deliver the bad news! I made this perfectly clear very early on in our relationship.





In addition, a child who is disciplined by a step-parent could very easily be taken away from the custodial parent because a step parent has NO legal rights to a step child. They are subject to legal repercussions just as a stranger would be. Peeve off a non-custodial parent and you can say bye-bye to that child.
My feelings are that no, the step-mom should not be permitted to physically discepline my daughter.





The reality of it is, the step-mom can do whatever my daughter's biofather lets her do. When my daughter goes on visitation every other weekend, she is part of that family and needs to live by their rules. I have no say as to what type of physical punishment is administered or by who, just like they have no say in what can and can not be done in our family.
I am a stepmom and I can tell any step-parents out there that is reading this, Not to ever lay your hands on the child no matter what they have done. Take it from someone who knows one thing with a court case going on right now. Not only will the ex use it in court but the child uses it to get the attention from the ex. I am in the battle of my life right now for not hitting the child, but being accused of it.It will ruin your life. The attorneys fee's, to guardian ad litem fees, to mediation fees, and it makes you wonder how a ex or the child can get away with making false accusations and you are the one to go bankrupt over it.. Meanwhile the ex wins because you do not have the money to fight it any longer. Its all a game ex's play and some of these so called law makers should hold them responsible.
I was a step mother, I never physically disciplined my step child. I never disciplined the child at all because I was scared of the child's Momzilla. It was a disaster because I could not set rules for my own home. The child ran the house and all the adults.


Child would be dropped off with a list of'; Wants to do's'; and if we didn't comply we heard it for weeks. So essentially we were just babysitters. But I still loved the child and still do. Has grown up to be a great adult.
I think that should be up to the ';real'; parent.





Edit: I mean I think the ';real'; parent should decide whether they think the step-parent disciplining is appropriate. I don't see why physical discipline is different from any other discipline in this respect.
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your kid will end up hating you and in his/ her eyes, you let them get ';abused'; by that ';stranger';. You shouldn't even be using force. whatch episodes of super nanny a few times and you'll see that her way helps the childrens behavior and you'll end up gettting their love. As far as I'm concerned, using force might temp. help the kid behave while being scared of you and you might put a band aid on a cut, but when he or she is older that cut will always need band aids and never heal!!!!!!!!!!!!
My step mum has physically punished me and I hate it she has done it in front of her daughter and my younger sister it is very very humiliating.I do not think it is right if i need punishing it should be in private.
No, absolutely not. Physical discipline should not be allowed by any parent.
usually not but it depends on what the kid did wrong but for sure they need the real mom or dads permission. its not legally their kid to touch in any way
If you mean physical in spanking.. No. No child should be struck...BY ANYONE!!
no not in a relationship that young,
no adults should never touch any kids that are not there

No comments:

Post a Comment