Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is it acceptable for a parent to spank a 17 year old child with a leather belt?

the parent believes strongly in the Biblical principle of spare the rod spoil the child. the strap is used only sparingly for what are deemed serious or repeat infractions. Is it acceptable for a parent to spank a 17 year old child with a leather belt?
First of all, a seventeen year old is a teenager, not a child, and is fully physically grown. Secondly, no where in the Bible does it literally say ';spare the rod, spoil the child,'; and my church has always taught the the ';rod'; was for guiding, not for beating.





So no, I don't think it's acceptable for a parent to spank a 17 year old with a strap.





I'm sure you're going to gets some responses from people like Robert, aka No Spam, aka James who only ever answers questions about spanking (something like 1600 of them) about how spanking a teenager is perfectly normal and acceptable..... but um... consider the source.





Also, check out the legality of such a ';punishment'; where you live. In many places in the world (like virtually every country in Europe, NZ, Canada) that would be illegal.Is it acceptable for a parent to spank a 17 year old child with a leather belt?
Actually, it's far from being wishful thinking. Here's the list where that ';discipline'; would be illegal:


Sweden - illegal since 1979


Norway - illegal since 1983


Finland - illegal


Denmark - illegal


Italy - illegal since 2000


Israel - illegal since 2000


Spain - illegal since 2007

Report Abuse



It's illegal in many more countries, but I can't fit them in here. I'm 17, and I have been working at a bookstore since I was 15 and pay my own taxes, I'm fully physically grown, and I care for an elderly grandparent. I'm not a child, nor are most 17 year olds I know.

Report Abuse



Isn't a LEATHER BELT the usual currency? What would YOU use? It is NOT ';normal'; but it CAN be ';acceptable';, though only under rare circumstances. Usually a teen should not be ';spanked'; against her or his will. [Of course most teens do NOT want to be spanked and do NOT want to be punished in any way, but some will reluctantly accept a ';spanking'; in preference to other forms of punishment AND will learn from it.]





But in some families where there is strong parental love 24/7, and the teen is ';testing the limits'; and even ';pushing the limits';, a RARE ';spanking'; can be effective. And the only adverse consequence should be a temporarily stinging butt.





In the OLD days there were few ';possessions'; and so corporal punishment was almost the only way to punish. Not now with gadgets etc. (tv, ipod, computer, etc.) BUT sometimes belt on butt is the quickest and quite effective method.





How important is ';compliance';? Do NOT provoke your teen to wrath or anger. How would you feel if she or he walked out and did not return? [Talk about your concerns, encourage them to change, etc. without forcing.]





IF the teen has been spanked a FEW times a year, then even at 17 it might be ';acceptable'; for such things as drunk driving, missed curfew by hours and didn't even phone, etc. BUT be very careful and fully examine the whole situation and the alternatives.





As for ';spare the rod spoil the child';:--





spare the rod --- do you? Maybe you should try sparing the rod.


spoil the child -- do you? Maybe you should try spoiling instead.


.
No it's not acceptable. By the age of 17, you as a parent should have had the time to raise him or her correctly. Spanking them now will do no good, and should have been done in the younger years. Now your teenager should be out getting a job, being responsible with friends and grades, and planning out a college life. If your child is still acting like a baby, no offense, but I'd say it's your fault as the parent. If she starts talking back, you take away the car for awhile. If she doesn't do chores, you make her cook the meals if she wants to eat. There are other ways, but beating a child that old? I sincerely hope someone would turn you in.
It really depends on the person and the situation. If it's a missed curfew, maybe, but also maybe the kid would learn their lesson better by being grounded for the weekend? Visiting inappropriate websites--no computer for a few days except for homework. Underage drinking or driving drunk--no excuses, I can see a spanking being justified for that. Likewise, serious disrespect or mouthing off could probably justify a few pops on the behind.





Like James mentioned, if there's a lot of love in the kid's relationship with the parents, an occasional rare spanking would not upset things too much, other than a temporarily sore butt!
I think the belt won't work on a 17-year-old anymore lol





I stopped getting spanked by a leather belt when I was 10. But I did get slapped and stuff like that. Basically for ';talking back';.





Spanking will only embarrass the 17-year-old. He probably won't learn and he'll grow to resent you.





';Spare the rod spoil the child';


Try another tactic like talking to him. After all, 17 isn't much of a child anymore - more like adult. Start treating him like one.
no.


Fcuk your parents. You go fcuk them when they are asleep. I mean try to spank the **** out of them when they are asleep. Go attack them and let them dont find time to think. After you are done say them how does it feel. Better time to do this is also when they are making love.


If they still beat you, try to scare them that you will kill them if they repeat the same.
it's illegal for u to hit ur child with anything but ur bare hands, and even then nothing more than is understandable, no beating, just spanking, and not at that age...that's illegal and u should get help for whoever
Yes it is appropriate and still very common in most good Christian households to spank with a belt, wooden spoon, paddle or hairbrush until 18 or older.
I had that done to me, but I was like 7. I would never to that to my kids, but I would hit them if they were being EXTREMELY disrespectful to me.
lol i got spanked until the day i moved out...and i didnt move out until the day i got married haha
i dont think its acceptable look up google to see at waht age that cant hit you no more and i think they are only allowed to hit you on the bum bum
I THINK IS IS better 2 b spanked by parents than beatin by billy clubs by cops in the real world if the kid is an idiot
No! Why would you spank a 17 year old w a belt? Sad for you chickie and isnt a belt for ur pants????
I wouldn't think so. I mean you'd think it only applies to toddlers who don't know any better.
but at age 17? Its basically useless. There are other ways to ';get the point'; than spanking a 17 year old.
No, belts are to hold your pants up not to hit your kids with.
I am a Christian and, I would never do that to my kids.
im 18 and my parents still beat the hell out of me...
  • hand soap
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment