Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am active army does anyone know what the army does for a parent who has a sick child who is hospitalized?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and my baby will have surgery as soon as he is born. He will be in the hospital for a few months. Does anyone know what the army does for parents in this situation.I am active army does anyone know what the army does for a parent who has a sick child who is hospitalized?
typically they arent the most sympathetic, however, you can request leave and then see if you get it. Also, in case you're in a war zone (which might not be likey) you may not get the leave pass required. hope everything goes well.I am active army does anyone know what the army does for a parent who has a sick child who is hospitalized?
I am assuming you are the active duty member. You don't mention if you are a single parent. You will be entitled to the standard maternity leave. After that, your command may be able to arrange for some emergency leave and/or you can then extend it using any leave you may have accumulated. However, I would also try to formulate a plan as to how you will handle the situation if you have to report back to work before the baby comes home and, since you may need some time after the baby does come home, if it is best to conserve leave and work while the baby is still in the hospital to save leave. I know that may sound harsh, but unfortnately there is always a very real chance of having to go back to work after your maternity leave is up. I would certainly talk about it with your command NOW. They may have ideas or have dealt with similar situations. You may also want your spouse or the child's father (if he is in the picture) to talk to their employer to see what sort of leave or vacation time they can get. If there is no father involved, you may want to talk with family and friends to see what they can offer. I know this must be a heartbreaking situation. You may investigate the possibility of getting discharged, but of course you would then loose any health benefits or be reduced to transitional benefits and am not sure how that would be if you have a child who will need medical care for an extended period of time. Please know you have my thoughts and prayers and I wish you nothing but the best.
When my son was born at 30weeks in Ft Knox he immid. brought to Louisville.(for three weeks). My husbands company was very understanding and they all pitched in to ensure my huband only had to work half days.. But there is always emergency leave you can go on. I suggest to talk with your company commander now and explain your situation, he will help you. If your son has to stay in a specialized childrens hospital i also would say contact the near by Ronald McDonald house i stayed there a few days to avoid driving back and forth in the snow.
you get your maternity leave same as usual. after that, you may be required to go back to work, even if on a limited basis.
It is usually up to the chain of command. Most time they will sympathize with you. At least I have seen for myself several experiences.


You might have to show some documentation and/or get some paper work from the doctor.


After you you give birth you are on convalescent leave for 6 weeks and you can take additional leave with that.
The army isn't very sympathetic. However, they are often good about maternity leave, assuming you aren't immediately needed for something. Don't expect more time because your child is sick, though.
Your question is not a clear one and you need to be more specific so repost it. What does the Army do? If your husband is overseas he can be brought home for this on emergency leave. If you are in the Army your health and his is taken care by the army!
i do not know. i want to say my prayers are with you, your child, and the rest of your family. please stay in touch with your chaplain and Chain of Command they should be helpful resources through this difficult time for you.
in the air force there are 1st Sgt.'s or ';1st Shirt'; who handle this kind of issues... i'm not sure whats the equivalent in the Army... i'm sure they will even help you with some of the $$$, well not them directly but through donations ... you could req emergency leave... talk to your doctor he could help you as well... maternity leave...
My husband is active army. I had a lot of problems with my pregnancy and they gave him a lot of time off to be with me. Anytime i had appointments, they let him go with me. Anytime i needed to go the hospital, he took me and stayed with me the entire next day. Then after my son was born he got 30 days to stay home with me to help me recover.





Then when my son was 3 months old, he had to have part of his skull removed and they gave my husband the days off for the appointments before and then the day of surgery and the week after the surgery.





It depends on the situation..but in your case..it sounds like they would give you some time off. Not only to recover, but to be there when your son is born. then for a few days afterwards. but im not sure about time after his surgery...you should talk to your CO..or if you are still in training your DS.
Ok your Active duty and your unborn child is going to need Surgery correct? It really is up to the Docs and your chain of command on what type of leave they will grant you.


Our son had to have surgery on both his eyes in 05 when my husband was deployed , I found out few days later I had to have surgery we had 2 other children, so the Doc for my son sent the Red Cross message and my husband was able to come home .


I would talk to both your OB %26amp; the Dr doing your sons's Surgery, then your Chain of Command, and Chaplin.


God Bless !


Armywife %26amp; Soldier
Go talk to your FRO...They will be able to tell you more than people here on Yahoo.....

No comments:

Post a Comment