Thursday, January 21, 2010

What do I do with my deceased parent's social security checks?

My father passed away last February, but his Social Security checks keep showing up. I know it is a crime to attempt to cash them (even though God knows I could use the money), so I've just been piling them up, not knowing what to do with them. Am I supposed to call someone to tell them to stop sending the checks, and to take note that none of the checks have been cashed? I'm not sure how social security works, but isn't this money that has been taken from his paychecks in the past?What do I do with my deceased parent's social security checks?
You must call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and report the death. All checks should be returned to your local Social Security office and you should be given a receipt for each check.What do I do with my deceased parent's social security checks?
I would take the checks with you to the nearest Social Security office and explain to them what has happened. The funeral home should have filed the paperwork to have the checks stopped.
1. Notify the local SS office that he is deceased.


2. Return the checks to SS. (You may be able to do that at the local office, ASK!)


3. You MAY be eligible for a death benefit. IF this is the case, the local SS office can help you fill out the form. NOT ALL persons are eligible for this!!
send them back with a copy of the death certificate. They should send you 1 more for $200 as the final death benefit

No comments:

Post a Comment