Thursday, January 21, 2010

Can a federal return be amended so that the other parent can claim the children?

I recently filed my federal reurn, but was denied due to the fact that I used my 1099T and 3 days later received a corrected 1099T from my school. My question is: After the 3 week period is up and my return is denied, would I be able to amend that return to remove the children so that my girlfriend can claim them? We live together, are not married, but the children are ours and have lived with us in the same household since they were born.Can a federal return be amended so that the other parent can claim the children?
What? Your question is completely convoluted. If you have vastly differing incomes, you will be better off seeing a JP and filing Married Filing Jointly.





How were you DENIED to file your taxes? Your return is not ';denied'; it is rejected. It's usually not rejected for using the wrong 1099, because the IRS gets the info around the same time that you do, but they don't process stuff immediately.





You need to file a 1040X. You can make any changes that you want on the 1040X. I recommend filling out a whole new 1040 and then take the two and fill out the 1040X.





There is no three week waiting period to file a 1040X.

No comments:

Post a Comment