Thursday, January 21, 2010

Are ears a recessive or dominant gene? Is a child likely to have ears that stick out if 1 parent does & 1 not?

I am having my second child %26amp; wondered whether it would carry my gene of having ears that stick out slightly or carry it's dads gene in which his ears don't stick out. Our first child doesnt have this gene, what is the chance of the 2nd child having it?Are ears a recessive or dominant gene? Is a child likely to have ears that stick out if 1 parent does %26amp; 1 not?
it's a 50-50 chanceAre ears a recessive or dominant gene? Is a child likely to have ears that stick out if 1 parent does %26amp; 1 not?
itsa 50/50 chance
Well 2 out of 3 of my kids have my sticking out ears, while 2 out of 3 of my kids have my husband's big ears (son got shafted with both, poor kid).
I don't have a scientific answer on whether or not it's a recessive/dominant gene, but my father's ears stuck out horribly when he was a child. Neither of my grandparents had ears that stuck out, nor did his four siblings. I'm not sure who he inherited it from. However, my two siblings and I didn't get them, and neither did my kids.
That is a total gamble. It does depend on both parents but it can't be controlled any more than eye color, height, weight, gender, etc.





If you had ten kids they would each probably have different kinds of ears. And they wouldn't all be big, some would be big and some would be small.





Using a height example: My husband's mother is almost 6 feet tall and his dad is about 6'1. My husband ended up being 6'9 but his brother is about 6'1 and both of his sisters are around 5'7 or 5'8.


Who knows how he got some extra tall gene and the others didn't but the same will be true with ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment