Sunday, January 17, 2010

How can an elementary school with low parent involvement increase involvement for the next school year?

We have a school with 600 students and a Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) of 60 parents. Of the 60 parents, on average, about 10-15 show up for meetings held once a month. One of our concerns for next year is increasing this number. Can any parents or teachers give any advice on how to help attract parent involvement?How can an elementary school with low parent involvement increase involvement for the next school year?
I am the vice president of our Parent Advisory Council(PAC) and we used to have low attendance.Over the summer our council will go to the neighborhood back to school health fairs or freshman/parent orientation and set up a booth and explain how the PAC works and what we have to offer parents.We have parent work shops,nutrition classes,out of state conferences,computer classes and ESL classes.We give them a calender of meeting dates and a sample agenda of up coming events and classes and a raffel ticket.We will always have a couple of items on display we let them know we will be raffeling them off on the first meeting and they have to be in attendance to win the items.I am also the secretary for the PAC at a grammar school and we have increased attendance by alternating the meeting dates.One month the meetings are at 9:15 am and the other month is at 5:30pm.We basically do the same thing but on a smaller scale and budget.The council is at every school function orientation,family math/reading night,assemblies,report card pick up.These days schools are not parent friendly any more so parents are intimidated to get involved.I would suggest that the school/PTO create some volunteer opportunities for parents and the community.How can an elementary school with low parent involvement increase involvement for the next school year?
give the parents homework or organize more student-parent activities that would really require involvement and facilitate bonding between parent and child; and hopefully, parent-to-parent bonding as well. outreach programs such as bake sales or any fund-raising activity would be great as it would not only increase parent involvement and facilitate bonding among parents and their children but raise money for a certain cause as well.
Yep, I'm one of those parents who doesn't show up. I can give you a ton of excuses...I forgot, time didn't work for me...and on and on. I would love to get more involved at my kids school but it seems like things fly by before I even notice. I think (and this is nearly impossible) personal phone calls are great. I sometimes get a message from school but it gets saved just like all the other messages. If my daughter's teacher (or ';teacher's volunteer';) called me and said...';I'm so and so calling from such and such a school. Calling about a meeting ...please call me back.'; or something similar and leave it at that I would call back right away...and then feel more vested in the meeting. Another thing would be child care for the other children (or activity for the kids to do...maybe have the meeting on the playground) so my kids would WANT to go to after school and see their friends and have fun...and maybe some pizza like someone else suggested. Another idea is T-Shirts. Give the kids whose parents go the the meetings T-Shirts and they can wear them on the day of the meetings (if you make it the same day each month it's easy to remember...like the first Tuesday of each month). My kids always want to do whatever the kids in the neat T-Shirts are doing...and it's a good fund raiser! I know this sounds like a lot but you asked!
have the meetings every other month. order pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment