Thursday, January 21, 2010

How does parent cope with attempt suicide by adult child who knows u r there for them & will be there whatever

My adult son is dealing with severe depression. We are close but I feel useless. I have got him a psychologist and a pschychiatrist who he talks to but I am still scared. He has self cut and then talks to me. Is there anyone there who has dealt with this. Any advice?How does parent cope with attempt suicide by adult child who knows u r there for them %26amp; will be there whatever
You may consider going to his counseling sessions with him. Find out exactly what you can do from the counselor to help your son. My youngest son used to do this and I would go to his counseling sessions with him. I went to counseling sessions with my late husband he didn't commit suicide he died at the hands of a bad doctor. My late husband was depressed and I demanded I go with him just so I knew how to deal with him at home. Don't let your son be alone when he is feeling like giving up on life. Love your son unconditionally and always be there for him.How does parent cope with attempt suicide by adult child who knows u r there for them %26amp; will be there whatever
I can only imagine how worried you must be feeling. I am 47 years old and have also had severe depression with self harm and suicidal thoughts. Perhaps if I explain it a little bit it may help you to understand.





Firstly, it is good that he has a psychologist and psychiatrist. There are many things a depressed person cannot be open and discuss with even the closest family member, also no one wants to feel they are over burdening you. As professionals they will be able to see the situation objectively without emotions clouding judgements.





When I was deeply depressed I self harmed.....something I never imagined wanting to do. It is difficult to understand self harm unless you have been through it. Very distressing for parents to see. Try to see the self harming as a SYMPTOM of the depression. I drew up a harming contract with my husband : That I would never cut deeply. That I would always use something clean and that I would clean the wound afterwards. The cutting expresses the huge knot in a depressed persons head that even 'he' doesn't understand. It is a release. The urge to cut is indeed very strong and difficult to resist. When your son feels these urges coming on ask him to tell someone at THAT point so that he can talk through his emotions. Please don't get angry when he cuts, show concern and understanding and offer to talk. This is very key. Your son, at this moment in time may not be able to verbalise what exactly are the core causes of his depression and harming behaviour but the psychologist and psychiatrist are trained to unravel this, but it does take time, and sometimes quite a long time. But be patient. For me after much counselling and changing the things I needed to change to become well, the cutting thought gradually disappeared.


You sound like a really caring parent, but with support when HE needs it, no judgement on his behaviour and tons of understanding which I'm sure you already give, your son WILL come through this...he really will but he needs time and space for that to happen. Also, make sure YOU have someone to lean on too, even if it is just to cry, scream or whatever when you are not with your son. Look after yourself. Be kind to yourself because you'll be better able to cope. Best wishes.
Just listen console and remain non judgemental to what ever he says .


Listen don't lead . Sympathise, positively where possible.


Do not isolate him or encourage attention seeking behaviour.


Very hard pot to stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment