Thursday, January 21, 2010

Should the custodial parent have to show proof of how the child support is being spent ?

Do you have dobt that your x is spending the child support on your child ? what is your opion on this subject ?Should the custodial parent have to show proof of how the child support is being spent ?
I am a custodial parent.


I keep all my receipts, regardless of which money I am spending.


The small amount of money I do receive from my ex is used for food %26amp; gas for my children.





I wouldn't have a problem showing how I spend it.





But if you are asking this because you are bitter %26amp; want to hurt your ex, your concern is misplaced.Should the custodial parent have to show proof of how the child support is being spent ?
I don't have this exact problem, but my MIL pays child support for two of her four kids (the oldest is grown, the youngest lives with her), and whenever we do see the girl (the second youngest, number three doesn't want to see anyone, he has a gf and a baby with his ex) she is in clothes that are too tight, too short and not age appropriate (she's 11). The dad is a swinger and a heavy drinker, so he blows the money at the club (it's about $200). He makes more then enough money, and he also has his gf's kids (two girls) who are about the same age the 11 yr old, they always wear her clothes (without her wanting them to). I think they should have to keep receipts (within reason, a couple of dollars missing is no big deal) and then every (six months or so) time the parents go back to court, they should have to present the receipts (maybe adjust the amount as needed, rather more or less).
I think a lot of arguments could be spared if the custodial parent did a breakdown of what it cost to keep the child for the year vs. the child support provided. In many cases, the child support falls short of what is actually needed.





I DO agree that there are cases where the custodial parent is clearly cheating the children. My coworker decided that it was cheaper to just buy his kids clothing than go to court and pay the $2,000-3,000 for the lawyer only to have his child support increased AGAIN and his kids still running around in torn and worn out clothing. Once his kids were like 12 or 13, they asked to live with him, so the point became moot.
Well in the defense of the custodial parent that parent has every right to spend it for the child, for instance the child needs electricity,water and food so it may go towards those bills, that is the way i spend mine and i did seek legal help because he was very judgement on that and my lawyer said that it may be spent on bills because the child needs that as well, now i do give my daughter $30 out of her checkevery month for whatever she wants to spend it on but every parent is different some rely on that to pay bills, and to answer the question i fell they should show proof but in the state of texas your not required to do that.
Something I wouldn't know if they ever do. I hardly don't get child support from my oldest son dad till now. But my oldest son has things he needs so it kinda of hard want to do with it. I usually buy food with it or get diapers for my youngest son. But it really hard to tell who paying child support because they don't mail them in checks anymore. They send them through debit mastercard. They doing it since some people have been stealing people child support check so now they doing the safer way.
considering my ex lives in my brothers house after he past away and I have only one child with her. she pays my mother only monthly property taxes on the property to live there, but also has 3 other children she gets support for plus has a new man living with her in wedlock that is supporting , but mind you they still live in my past brothers well Kemp home roughly 130k house. But I continue to pay support and give up my yearly tax refund for back due support even though she has been living on my families dime for the last 3 years or more..


I would love to see where she says the money sent for my child goes.. Since she has it so well off with the arrangements she has now.. so YES!


Abuse of this system is wide spread and possible chances of proving your case is like attempting to find a needle in a haystack
heat bill - $200 /3 - monthly


electricity $200/3 - monthly


telephone/cable/internet 180/ 3- monthly


clothes for child $500 a year


school activities - hundreds a year


sports - hundreds a year


daycare - $500-600 monthlydepending on ages.


rent $1200 / 3 - monthly


food $400+ a month /3


gas/car/insurance: to get your child places - alot of money!!





Is your child support spent yet- and should you be paying more????
it's a good question. I'm sure that there are parents out there who don't. But what does it matter if they spend their money on the child and when the child support check comes in, they buy a dvd player or a new kitchen table? As long as the child is cared for, does it really matter which dollar bill pays for it?
its not of the paying parents business. If the child if fed, clothed, is clean and housed, thats what its being spent on. Remember, they use all the household items every one else uses - toothpaste, toilet paper, soap, etc. Don't make it a battle. It;s not worth it.
I honestly don't think it matters if you have to show proof or not. For instance $400 is so easy to prove. Any parent that I know spends a lot more than that for diapers, food, milk, clothes, putting the roof over the child's head.
If there is a roof over the kids head and they have clothes on their backs and food in the stomach then no. If you think your children are being neglected thats a different story.
Yes that is a great idea. The money should be spent for the child and for the child's best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment